Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Many Faces of Buttercream

Growing up our family got ALL of our cakes from these Japanese bakery, Ishigo Bakery.  Their buttercream was TO DIE FOR.  It wasn't too sweet (I actually don't have much of a sweet tooF believe it or not) creamy, buttery, aaaaahhhh pure heaven.  Sadly, the bakery closed in the early 2000's and heaven buttercream is no more. Even after I moved out to Orange County, I would drive the 30 mins down to the South Bay to pick up a cake from this place.  It brings back sweet childhood memories of my dad taking us to pick up a cupcake or a little "cake square" as a treat.

Ok so anyway, I'm on the hunt for the perfect buttercream.  Now, what I consider perfect and what people like Mr. Sweet TooF finds perfect is obviously different. He loves frosting that tastes like pure sugar, I on the other hand, well not so much.  So I'm trying to find a happy medium.  I've tried about 3 different recipes so far and I have yet to find one I can say "this is the recipe I will always use!" There are SO many types of buttercream, different recipes and everyone swears theirs is the best.  Well prove it people!

I'd love to find one that doesn't use shortening as those tend to taste "greasy" to me and the fact that I know I'm eating a huge wad of lard (ok I know it's not lard but you know what I mean) just doesn't sound appealing to me.  The search continues....oh and if you know of a good one, feel free to send it over!

No comments:

Post a Comment