Sunday, November 21, 2010

Big Cupcake Alert!

This was my first attempt at a giant cupcake and had no idea how it would turn out.  Needless to say I'm not over the moon with how it turned out but as with everything I'm sure with some practice they'll turn out better.  

First I must say the directions said to make 2 batches of cake mix...WRONG. I made two and had enough for 24 cupcakes with the leftover batter, so uhm no, 2 batches was way too much.  Then it said to bake for about 35-45 mins. Try again, it took 65. yeah 65. 

Anyway, I decided on red velvet since I know that's one of my friend's favs (it was for her birthday). 

Here's they are, all filled and ready to go! 


All done! My kitchen smelled wonnnnnnnderful


While the cupcakes cooled, I whipped up a batch of buttercream.


All cooled, I  had to level out each piece so they would fit nicely on top of each other then added a layer of  buttercream on the bottom piece


Placed the top on and ready to frost!


 All done!!  I used large "sprinkles" and edible pearls.


Ok so here's the scoop.  It wasn't that easy.  First of all, I let it cool almost an hour before removing it from the mold and guess what happened? The top part broke.  Good thing it was going to be covered by icing so you couldn't tell.  Next, I wanted to use the Wilton tip #22 and make little stars but I knew the buttercream wouldn't be firm enough so then my next idea was use the same tip but just make a huge swirl all the way around....nope, I started to and then it began to droop.  Damn.  I had no choice but to smooth it out with an angled spatula.  So all in all, it turned out "ok" but I'd love to try it again for a better result.   It's so big!

1 comment:

  1. I think this looks great! I found your blog through a Google search I did for "cakes that look like poop." haha. It initially took me to your post about icing tips how the #1a (I think) icing on a cupcake looks like poop and I actually wanted to frost a giant cupcake like this to look like poop. Sounds like you had trouble with the frosting getting droopy so maybe I'll look for another way to make a poop cake. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete