Thursday, September 2, 2010

Wilton's Cake Decorating Basic Course

The displays for the cake decorating courses at Michael's have always caught my eye and I finally thought, well why not? Could be fun right? They're inexpensive and I'd love to learn new ways to decorate.

So they have 3 courses (they are each 4 weeks long, meeting once a week):
  1. Decorating Basics
  2. Flowers and Cake Design
  3. Gum Paste and Fondant
I was REALLY interested in the 3rd class, gum paste and fondant. I love working with this stuff! But I figured, let me take all 3.  I signed up for the first course, Decorating Basics (and bonus, all classes were 50% off! so I paid something like $22 - cheap).  You buy the student kit that basically comes with most of the things you need to get you started (used a coupon - of course - so came out to about $17).

Had my first class tonight. I seriously think some of the people in my class have never even seen what a cake looks like.  I know the course is "Decorating BASICS" but COME ON.  Yaaaawn, what a bore! The instructor spent the majority of the class, a whopping TWO hours, showing us what baking pans look like, how to make cake FROM A BOX - uh you read the directions? and showing us how to use all the tools in our student kit.  Oh and she made Wilton's Buttercream Icing Recipe in class, which let me tell you, it's GROSS. Tastes exactly like the crap they use at your local Ralph's / Vons / Insert your grocery store here.  So apparently this is the recipe we are supposed to make to decorate our cakes.  I have no problem using this for things like borders and flowers, but to frost my whole cake in this junk? Let's just say I will NOT be eating my cake from this class. (Stay away from this recipe). Oh and the instructor said "for real buttercream icing, you don't use butter" Sorry Sarah Lee, I'm using butter.

Anyway, the only real hands-on exercise we did was decorate a couple cookies with ONE tip, the star tip #18. I guess the purpose of this is to start practicing how to use a decorating bag and how to make little stars (a huge bore I tell you).  Throughout the night I had to keep reminding myself that I DID sign up for the basic class.

Wanna see what I made?  2 stupid shortbread cookies with a shitload of stars.  Oooohh Aaaaahhh impressive, I know :-/


Exciting stuff huh?

I won't say it was a complete waste of time, I did learn a few tips on baking and it was fun to watch some people showing off the stars they made all proud, when they actually looked nothing like stars.

Next week we are supposed to bring in a one tier cake to decorate in class.  I am a bit excited about this because so far the majority of my cakes are fondant cakes. I'd love to practice making regular buttercream cakes (using my OWN buttercream recipe).
Let's see how this goes. I'll keep you all posted.

P.S. the cookies weren't half bad, Mr. sweet tooF ate them both right when I got home (did you expect otherwise? haha)

3 comments:

  1. Hi there- We just started the class 1 (decorating basics) last week and go this week for our second class. I'm in the same situation as you... their recommended icing is gross to me and I am grossed out by the amount of sugar and crisco involved! What are you planning on using to cover your cake with instead that will taste better (and possibly be less fattening? Also, is there a recipe you have that is going to be good for making the decorative icing as well? Any tips would be great! Thanks! Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn,

    I knew I wasn't the only one. In fact one of the girls in my class said to me "there is no way I'm eating this icing with the amount of Crisco in it".
    I actually had my second class last week where we decorated our cake and against my better judgement, I made the class icing. My husband, who eats ANYTHING that has sugar in it, had a piece and said "why does this taste so greasy??". He totally had that greasy taste in his mouth from Crisco. It's just gross.
    For class this week we are supposed to decorate cupcakes (using the same nasty icing) and the last class we bring in an iced cake. I have icing left over from last class so I'm just going to use that for the cupcakes but I plan on using my own recipe for the final cake.

    Here is the recipe I use when I make my own butter cream:
    1 cup Crisco shortening
    1 cup butter (can use salted or unsalted)- softened
    1/3 cup luke warm water
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp clear vanilla
    1/2 tsp almond extract OR
    1/2 tsp butter extract
    2 lb. bag of powder sugar

    Cream together the butter and Crisco until nice and fluffy. (I use speed 6 for this on my KA.) When it lightens in color (almost white) it is ready for the next step.

    Measure out the luke warm water in a standard measuring cup and dissolve the salt in this water.
    I then add the flavoring to the cup. Stir it up well with a spoon.
    Turn your mixer speed to the lowest possible setting and add in the powdered sugar slowly. Alternate back and forth
    with the water mixture. Keep the mixer on low until all liquid and powdered sugar are combined.
    Once combined then turn the mixer up a notch and mix well. Approximately 2-3 minutes.

    This makes between a medium and thin consistency and it works well for covering cakes and simple borders. If you want to use simply for borders, use 1/4 water instead of 1/3 cup and it will be stiffer. This recipe will make enough for a two layer cake ( and maybe a cupcake or two heehee...)

    Let me know if you decide to make this recipe. I'd love to know if you like it!
    Good luck with your cakes! Keep me posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I look forward to trying something new (other than the artery clogging recipe we were given!). I made it as instructed for tonights class (had to make it last night since class is after work tonight- and the only good thing is that I won't be tempted to eat my cake knowing what is in there! :) Thanks again for sharing... I'll keep your tips in mind for next week!

    ReplyDelete